Get a Permit for the Red Light District
Since 2018 you need a permit to tour people through the Amsterdam Wallen area. With the permit you can give walking tours through the area from 09;00 to 23:00 in the evening. At Royal Coster Diamonds we offer a service to help you attain this permit.
Apply for a permit
At Royal Coster Diamonds we help our partners such as guides and tourleaders where we can. So we made the application process easier: just need to fill out the form below.
Please note: a permit costs €165 and is valid until 1 January 2020. The permit belongs to the individual guide, not the company. When we receive the form, we send you a payment link and apply for the permit. It may take up to 2 weeks to receive the permit. But we cannot give any guarantees as we depend on the municipal government to get the permit.
Rules and permits for guided tours in the Red Light District
Tour providers who offer tours of the ‘Wallen’ – Amsterdam’s Red Light District – face strict rules. This does not include the Museum Square where Royal Coster Diamonds is located.
The following measures are in force:
- – Guides giving tours to groups bigger than 4 people need a permit to enter the area.
- – Guides accompanying groups bigger than 4 people also need a permit to enter the area.
- – You don’t need to be a certified guide to obtain a permit. A Chamber of Commerce extract (KvK uittreksel) or Certificate of Conduct (Verklaring omtrent het gedrag – VOG) are not necessary.
- – Tours for groups of more than 20 are not permitted.
- – Tours must be over by 23.00 at the latest.
- – The measure applies to all guided tours, whether on foot, by bike or on Segways.
- – Groups are not allowed to stand still at locations that are busy with traffic (like canal bridges) and store entrances during opening hours.
- – Taking photos of sex workers is prohibited, and guides have to ensure that groups stand with their backs to the sex workers.
- – Speakers or megaphones are not allowed, shouting also not.
- – Alcohol and drug use are prohibited during the tours.
- – Before the tour, guides must instruct the groups to show respect for local residents, businesses and sex workers.
If you have any questions, comments or need more information, contact your country manager or call us. We are here to help.
Book a Royal Experience
Experience diamonds like Royals do. Since 1840, Royals from all over the world come to Amsterdam to see our impressive craftsmanship.